With a national focus to increase Cytology screening, we are pleased to offer a Cytology course, for colleagues new to the skill. This course is suitable for Registered Professionals, including Physician Associates registered on the Physician Associate Managed Voluntary Register (PAMVR).
The course includes a workbook, online theory training day and assessment (venue to be confirmed). The workbook is completed following the theory day and includes 20 samples that must be supervised by a mentor. Prior to 3 samples which are assessed.
Theory – 1 Day:
- 30th March 9-5pm for 16 participants
- 31st March 9-5pm for 4 participants
Informal practical examination (OSCE) – ½ Day
- Date to follow – Virtual SIM Centre to booked
Practitioners eligible to train for the role of a cervical sample taker:
- Registered nurses
- Registered nursing associates on NMC register
- Registered midwives
- Physician associates registered on the Physician Associate Managed Voluntary Register (PAMVR)
- Registered healthcare professionals working in integrated sexual health clinics
- General Medical Council (GMC) registered medical doctors
- Must have access to a mentor experienced in cytology and up to date.
- Students will be expected to complete a pre-course workbook. All workbooks/learning materials and theory materials will be supplied by UWL.
- Students will have a further workbook to complete, including 20 samples as a student with TZ cells noted, and there will be an end assessment where 3 samples will be assessed by an external assessor.
- Students will receive certificates when workbooks are completed and final assessment sign off is achieved.
- To undertake the samples, the nurse must be working/have regular and supported placements in a GP practice where they can be issued with a temporary training pin for cytology.
- The student will also need to visit the colposcopy clinic – to be advised on.
If you are interested in this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .