Frimley Training Hub are pleased to be partnering with Health Education England and PATH to facilitate the placement and learning of Physician Associates in primary care through a funded programme.
The aim of the programme is to develop a quality learning environment and smooth transition for the new PA into primary care and improve retention.
Physician’s associates undergoing their preceptorships in general practice can help to broaden the capacity of the GP role and skill mix within the practice team to help address the needs of patients in response to the growing and ageing population. They are particularly suitable for smaller GP practices. The programme links to the GPFV, Long Term Plan, People Plan and the Revised GP Contract.
Physicians Associates undergoing preceptorships in primary care provide a great asset for GPs including;
- Freeing up a GPs time
- Allowing GPs to focus on complex cases
- Enabling general practice to develop a multi -disciplinary work force
- Enhancing the skill mix in GP practice
- Increasing access to care for patients
If you are in the Frimley ICS area and are interested in having a physician’s associate undertake a preceptorship at your practice – we have a package of financial and other support to help make this happen. This includes;
- £5000 for each GP who takes on a PA on a preceptorship. This is to help fund the cost of the GP in terms of their time to act as a supervisor for the PA. For preceptorships a GP Practice develops an approved preceptorship programme for PAs in their first year. Once agreed by HEE, £5000 is allocated to the practice to fund support for CPD for the PA and fund support from the supervising GP.
- Free support available through PATH to make the recruitment and first year preceptorship easy and manageable for busy GPs including templates, job descriptions, information about GP supervisor roles etc.
- PATH also offer GP’s a free, no obligation assessment to help you understand whether having a PA undertake a preceptorship will be beneficial for your practice.
Alternately, register your interest directly with PATH by completing the attached document and sending it to email@example.com and and they will reach out and offer you support with your decision-making.